Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kissing regular clothes good-bye

Over the past few days, I have really learned to embrace elastic-waistband clothes.  You know, the ridiculous maternity pants with the 12-inch elastic panel at the waistline.  The ones that I always thought looked completely ridiculous.  Now they are the BEST THINGS EVER.

For awhile I was able to get away with wearing my old pants with a belly band.  For those of you who don't know, the belly band is an AMAZING contraption that allows you to wear your pre-pregnancy clothes just a little bit longer.  You know, so you can hold on to 'skinny you' just a little bit longer.   It's basically a stretchy ring of fabric that is about 18 inches long.  What you do, is you pull on your old pants, leave them un-zipped and then pull the belly band over it to hold them up.  and VOILA.  This was a great plan until this week.  Now my lower abdomen (below my belly button) has grown significantly as the baby continues to grow like a maniac (it's now the size of a apple), and even unzipped my old pants dig into baby territory.  Every day, the pregnancy becomes more and more real.

While this is kind of a bummer (the old pants digging into me part, not the growing baby part...of course), there is a bit of satisfaction in knowing that I'm leaving the "Is she fat, or is she pregnant?" stage of my pregnancy and into the "Look at that pregnant lady!" stage.  Since I have become extra sensitive about my weight since I lost about 60 pounds a year ago, this is a HUGE relief for me.  Yeah, it's a bit shallow, but hey.  I'm dealing with serious hormones here.  At least my maternity clothes are still a Size 2. Size 2 with an AMAZING ELASTIC WAISTBAND.

Since you've been asking, here is what the belly is shaping up to these days.  I was waiting for a time when I looked all cute, but that hasn't happened since I started writing this post on Monday.  SO, this is me in my comfy yoga pants before bedtime.
Love how the shirt is bunched up over my belly?
Belly size varies day to day.  It depends on how bloated I am, and how much energy I have to 'suck it in' on any given day.

Paul and I took our typical weekend trip to Cabela's last weekend.  Because they were giving out $25 Cabelas gift cards for signing up for a $25 NRA membership, Paul and I both signed up.  They gave away free hats, that say "NRA" in huge yellow letters...they are hilarious.  What I really wanted was a "Future NRA Member" T-Shirt with an arrow pointing to my belly.  Slightly redneck-ish, but Paul and I both had a good laugh at that idea.  Funny, they wouldn't give us another gift card for signing up our unborn child.  You think they'd be excited about the idea of a lifetime member.  Just kidding.

I was STUNNED to learn that the baby is now 4 inches long and is the size of an apple.  I could feel it start to kick in the next couple of weeks, which is VERY exciting.  I'll keep you posted.

Now that the first trimester is over, I'm supposed to start 'feeling better'.  Though, I have to say I was really fortunate to never really have felt all that bad, just really really tired.  Well, and my blood pressure was very low before so I was having dizzy spells whenever I stood up.  Almost fainted a couple of times at work and it was a really strange feeling.  So the doctor told me to eat more salt - OKAY!!  My hunger has subsided a bit (thank GOODNESS), though I still cringe whenever anyone brings pastries into the office because I know I'll break down and half at least half a doughnut.  Oh well.

Oh yeah, and Paul is sitting right here and said I have to mention my ridiculous gas problem.  So there.  Now everyone knows.  One of the pregnancy books I read said something like the pregnancy gods are fair.  If you're fortunate enough not to have morning sickness, you'll be blessed with uncontrollable gas.  Well, they were right. Oh well, we all know I have no shame anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment